Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Uninvited Intervention

Snuggling against the frayed wool of my fuzzy pink blanket, my head rattling against the icy car window, I drifted in and out of a volatile slumber. For the last hour we'd been meandering all over highways, parkways, and very abstruse ways, trying to configure the indecisive GPS as it constantly rerouted. Attempting to arrive where my mother was ready to all but ace a job interview she'd been fretting over the last two months, we had set out on this trek.  I took a leisurely moment to open my eyes and scrutinize her crisp corporate couture.  From her sleek pearl earrings to her twice-starched blue shirt to her special  black leather stiletto heels,  she was certainly dressed for the occasion, which was scheduled at 9:30 sharp, shockingly early for the Monday of the long weekend off from school. My mom's fate was literally in my dad's adept driving hands. 
   "We're here!" She suddenly exclaimed, pointing to the sign inscribed Medical Plaza.
      I exhaled a deep breath of relief.  We weren't late after all. We had made it to this dilapidated institution.  The upcoming dilemma was parking, but I decided to leaving scouring for a space big enough to accommodate our SUV to my dad, who had generously agreed to drive us to this decrepit and obscure location.I bent to pick up my handy-dandy novel, from which I had read approximately 0 pages during the trip, but then was flung back into my seat as the car steeply veered. 
       "Maybe there's parking over there," Dad said, gesturing towards what lied ahead. I peeked over the dashboard at an oblique lamp leading into a dark tunnel, which disappeared into the ground and turned at a bend. As my dad revved the engine, I caught a glimpse of light. Except this wasn't right, sunlight definitely did nor belong at the end of this tunnel.
          "Wait," I began to utter, but it was too late. The car swerved and screeched down the ramp and out of the tunnel in to the blinding warm light, horns blaring behind us, where cars zoomed  by, feet away from us unaware of the exit seconds away. Unable to reverse, horns blaring behind us, we were compelled to speed up and glide over the immense highway, no exits coming up for miles. 
      "Oh well," mom sighed. As we helplessly flowed with the stream of vehicles, now more like a trickle, unable to turn back, it struck 10. I on the other hand, grinned when I saw a sign above the road. If fate didn't want her to take the interview, who was I to argue? Besides, fate seemed to have something else in mind, with me as its trustworthy corespondent.  
          "So....now that we're on the road there," I began, " Let's go to NYC!"
        And fate just wanted us to do that...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages